Beacon RCC has promoted an open 10-mile time trial nearly every year since 1978. The event is organised as a memorial to Janet Kelly, sadly killed whilst participating in the sport she loved so much. A trophy in Janet’s name is awarded to the fastest woman. Previous winners have included the legendary Beryl Burton and the Beacon’s own multiple national champion, Ruth Eyles, and UCI Gran Fondo TT World Champion, Jessica Rhodes-Jones, who is also the current organiser.
The event is held on the K33/10D course near Norton in Worcestershire. In addition to the women’s trophy, there are prizes down to sixth place in both men’s and women’s categories as well as for vets, tandems and prizes for road bikes.
Road bike category: please enter either the women’s or men’s event using the links below. To be classed as a ‘road bike’ entry, the following rules will apply:
- No aerobars, clip on aerobars or aero extensions can be used;
- Hands must be holding the handlebars at all times whilst racing (i.e. not with forearms resting on the handlebars) – marshals will be out on course to check this important safety point!
- Wheels may have no more than 90mm depth and must have at least 12 spokes;
- Helmets must have no visor;
- Ears must not be covered by the helmet;
(In addition, the use of a Giro Aerohead helmet will not be permitted).
The start line marshal will perform a quick check at the start to confirm whether your setup makes you eligible for road bike prizes.
This year’s event will be held on 19 June. Links to the entry forms are available below.